First Year Experience program may produce textbooks; would sell end result to other universities

The First Year Experience Program’s days of buying textbooks from other institutions might be over.

FYE is contemplating the idea of creating its own textbooks to sell to other universities for similar programs.

“Folks have asked us about the general idea of having a book,” said Jason Bentley, director of First Year Experience. “The main focus would be for a transition to college learning, understanding course concepts, the culture of college, enhanced writing and learning through doing.”

Audrey Johnson is the publications coordinator for the FYE Program.

The Grand Rapids junior said she is excited about the idea of the program having a book for other colleges to look at.

“It is exciting that we could be a leader for that type of information in being a role model on helping students,” Johnson said. “It puts Central in a better position if other colleges are looking at our FYE Program”.

Milford graduate student Samantha Thorpe, peer mentor coordinator for FYE, is pleased to see the FYE program taking steps to become a leader in teaching first-year students.

“It is very exciting,” she said. “It means that our program is being innovative in allowing other universities to read our book”.

In order for the idea to become a reality, the FYE program knows it would take a lot of work, time and dedication, Bentley said.

“There are a lot of resources that are strictly for Central. We would have to change the cover,” Johnson said. “We talked about making the faculty version that will include lesson plans, resources for faculty. That would make it a success.”

The FYE program plans to make the textbook available in online, downloadable PDF and print format, Bentley said.

The book does not have a set date of release yet. Authors have also not been determined.

The main reason the FYE program pursued the idea of creating their own book was affordability to students, he said.

“It isn’t about making money, it’s about providing services to students,” Bentley said. “It isn’t a promotion of us; we want to be part of a movement.