Renovated Powers Hall ballroom to host open house over Homecoming Weekend

Departments in Powers Hall are ready to show off a new ballroom to students, alumni and faculty this Homecoming Weekend.

Renovations to the old ballroom are complete and were carried out to provide much-needed space for upcoming events, said Pamela Gates, interim dean for the College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences.

“The project was primarily done in-house with staff from our university facilities and IT departments addressing the remodeling and mediation of the room,” Gates said. “Our CMU staff worked to create a beautiful space for the university to use.”

The $142,000 renovation project was completed in mid-September, said Steve Lawrence, associate vice president of Facilities Management.

It was first unveiled to faculty and visitors in September as part of the Griffin Policy Forum and Academic Conference. The open house for the ballroom will be Friday from 4 to 6 p.m.

“The open house on the 15th is the kick-off to the Homecoming Weekend here on campus,” Gates said. “Alumni are invited to stop by to see the new ballroom and visit with other alums and faculty who are invited as well.”

The event is hosted by the College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences, the Leadership Institute, the Honors Program, the Office of the Provost and the history department.

“We want to show off the beautiful ballroom,” said Sara Buckley, coordinator of marketing and events for CHSBS. “It is a chance for the entire community to come see the remodeled new room and how beautiful it really is.”

Dan Gaken, interim director of the Leadership Institute, said those involved are very honored and pleased to be part of the open house.

He said they are excited to have a facility showcasing their skills.

“We are happy to have a beautiful facility to show what we are about,” he said.