Annual campaign surpasses $600,000; goal is $875,000 by January

The Annual University Campaign is approaching its goal of $875,000 and organizers hope to reach it by January.

The campaign has raised $639,886 from 429 donors as of Monday. The goal is to reach $875,000 from at least 1,100 donors by the beginning of 2011.

Last year, the campaign raised $832,000 in total from 1,019 donors. The money at the same time in November last year was $246,984 less than this year’s totals so far, said Bryan Griffin, director of annual giving.

“We have had a lot of big gifts this year,” Griffin said.

Donors can choose exactly where their money goes toward, as long as it has a Central Michigan University account.

“This gives faculty, staff and retirees a chance to give back, fund scholarships or give to any other place they have a spot near and dear to their hearts for,” Griffin said.

The areas that receive the most money vary by year.

“Athletics is doing well so far this year, but it is hard to say before the campaign actually ends,” Griffin said.

CMU matches every $2 donated with an extra $1 to the campaign.

Donors can now give money online through iCentral, an initiative Griffin said is working very well.

“People are stepping up and contributing and the university match definitely helps that,” said campaign co-chairman Ray Francis, interim associate dean of the College of Education and Human Services.

All of the money is processed after Jan. 1 and the final totals are planned to be released Jan. 4.

“I just hope that in the end, CMU receives the kind of support that both our students and university can benefit from,” said Michelle Howard, director of Academic Advising and Assistance. “In our economy that’s asking a lot, but if we work together, I think that it is possible.”

Griffin said there is still work to be done.

“We still have a long way to go, but people give at different times of the year,” Griffin said. “A big gift might come anytime.”