Dennis Lennox acquitted of campaign finance violation charges

Cheboygan County Drain Commissioner and former CMU student Dennis Lennox II has been acquitted of two charges over alleged use of public funds while seeking a state House seat.

Prosecutors charged Lennox in January with violating the Michigan Campaign Finance Act and misdemeanor embezzlement. Cheboygan County Prosecuting Attorney Daryl Vizina said Lennox mailed 250 post cards, some of which contained material termed "campaign literature," and charged postage to the county.

A district court jury found Lennox not guilty of the charges Monday after an eight-hour trial.

Lennox said he reimbursed the county for the $110 worth of postage before a criminal complaint was filed. Vizina filed the complaint in January stating Lennox been asked to reimburse the money but originally refused, and only did so after charges were brought forth.

"The people of Cheboygan County heard the testimony," Lennox said, "they heard the arguments and they vindicated me."

The Republican Lennox and Democrat Vizina have often been at odds and have campaigned against each other in the past.

"This was a political prosecution from the very beginning," Lennox said. "It's taken a great toll on me and I'm glad to put it behind me."

Lennox was associated with the former Campus Conservatives registered student organization at CMU, where he spoke out against former Griffin Endowed Chair Gary Peters while he was running for a congressional seat.