UPDATED: Man charged with attempted robbery of Mount Pleasant Super 8 Motel

campbell-201100067

A man who allegedly assaulted a woman and attempted to rob a motel has been charged with four offenses.

Christopher William Campbell, 19, was arraigned in Isabella County Trial Court on charges of unarmed robbery, assault with intent to rob while unarmed and assault/assault and battery. The Mount Morris resident is also being charged with failing to comply with the sex offender registry.

Mount Pleasant police were dispatched at 5:25 a.m. Tuesday to the Super 8 Motel, 2323 S. Mission St. for a report of an assault in progress. Prior to their arrival at the motel, Campbell had already fled on foot, said MPPD Public Information Officer Jeff Browne.

Officers tracked Campbell by footprints to a residence about one mile from the motel. He then told police his original intention was to rob the business, Browne said.

Police determined Campbell entered the motel about 4:30 a.m. and began using the lobby's computer.

He then allegedly approached an employee who was preparing a continental breakfast and pushed her into a refrigerator. When he made an attempt to strike the woman, she sprayed him with pepper spray and caused him to flee, according to police.

Browne said neither person was injured during the incident.

Campbell remains lodged at the Isabella County Jail on an attempted robbery charge.  His bond is set at $100,000.

The Mount Police Department was assisted by the Central Michigan University Police Department and Isabella County Sheriff's Department during the investigation.