Liquor license transfer for L-1 Bar & Grille approved by Mount Pleasant City Commission

A new restaurant and nightclub on Mission Street is one step closer to opening after a liquor license transfer approval by city commissioners Monday.

The license would be transferred to the L-1 Bar & Grille, 1705 S. Mission., from the now closed Gracie’s Country House in Saginaw County.

The circumstances were unusual because the City Commission does not have specific policies for the transfer of a liquor license. It only has specifics for new licenses and some criteria for renewals.

Commissioners determined whether the proposed location complies with city ordinances and codes. They also reviewed the applicant's background.

“The zoning board and planning commission have acted on those and found the plans will comply with state construction code and fire code,” said city attorney Scott Smith. “And public safety has found no reason the applicant shouldn’t have a liquor license.”

Although the resolution was approved, commissioners were upset by the lack of policy and options in their decision.

Heavy discussion followed the approval, including the need for ordinances about liquor license transfer, as well as procedural adjustments.

“I felt put in a corner and as Vice Mayor Ling said, we were just a pass through,” said Commissioner Sharon Tilmann. “I think this amplified that we have procedures that need to be revised.”

The commission also approved appointments to various boards and commissions.

A special proclamation was made at the beginning of the meeting in honor of the Sesquicentennial of the First United Methodist Church, 400 S. Main St.

“This is my first proclamation as mayor and I’m happy I get to do it for my home church,” said Mayor Bruce Kilmer.

A special meeting was set for 6:30 p.m. Feb. 21 to gather citizen input on whether the city should purchase a portion of the Mount Pleasant Center property on West Pickard Street.