UPDATED: Mount Pleasant resident pronounced dead at scene of High Street accident

jms_fatalaccident_04
Jeff Smith/Staff Photographer Police, fire and Mobile Medical Responders survey the scene of a fatal accident that occurred between a pedestrian and a Chevy truck at the intersection of High and Watson streets around 7 p.m. Tuesday evening.

A  Mount Pleasant man was killed in a car-pedestrian accident at the intersection of High Street and Watson Road Tuesday evening.

Joseph Feasby, 51, was crossing at the intersection when he was hit by a dark-colored Chevy truck, traveling east on High Street, said Mount Pleasant Police Sgt. Andy Latham. Emergency personnel were called to the scene shortly after 7 p.m.

The pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene and the driver of the truck was identified by police as a 16-year-old Mount Pleasant resident. The driver had a green light and exhibited no signs of being under the influence of drugs or alcohol, according to the Mount Pleasant Police Department.

It has yet to be determined if the driver was traveling over the posted speed limit or too fast for winter conditions, Latham said.

The truck was left inoperable after the accident.

High Street and Watson Road were closed to through traffic while police investigated the accident.

Michigan State Police assisted with the accident reconstruction, along with the Isabella County Sheriff's Department and Central Michigan University Police Department. Mount Pleasant firefighters and Mobile Medical Response was also at the scene.