Roundup: Kent State gymnastics coach reprimanded by MAC; Soccer team honored in Lansing; Freese announces '11 recruiting class

Kent State gymnastics head coach Bruce Biggin was publicly reprimanded Tuesday by the Mid-American Conference for public remarks critical of judging following Saturday's meet against CMU.

According to a statement by the conference, "The criticism is in violation of the Mid-American Conference's sportsmanship bylaws.

"The Mid-American Conference expressed its appreciation for the support of the MAC sportsmanship policies by the Kent State administrators in this matter. The Mid-American Conference will have no further comment."

The Chippewas ended Kent State's two-year home conference winning streak, beating the Golden Flashes 195.100-194.875.

Soccer honored in Lansing

The Central Michigan women’s soccer team was honored by the Michigan Legislature Thursday for its outstanding academic achievement.

CMU finished the 2009-10 academic year with a 3.76 cumulative grade point average, the highest in the nation for the sixth consecutive year. It recorded a 3.73 GPA in 2009 and 3.70 in 2008.

State Sen. Tonya Schuitmaker (R-Lawton), State Rep. Kevin Cotter (R-Mount Pleasant) and greeted the team in Lansing to recognize their academic achievements.

The Chippewas went 16-5-1 in 2010, winning the Mid-American Conference championship and making their second consecutive NCAA tournament appearance.

Field hockey announces recruiting class

Head coach Cristy Freese announced six players as part of the 2011 CMU field hockey recruiting class.

Joining the Chippewas next season include three backs: Jordyn Brengosz (Arrowhead High School/Nashotah, Wis.), Tiffany Cioppi (Williamsville North High School/Getzville, N.Y.) and walk-on Alicia Hutchison (Parkland High School/Allentown, Pa.). Others entering the program are forward Elizabeth Momeyer (Trafford High School/Harrison City, Pa.), midfield/forward Mary Alice Moore (Miller Place, N.Y.) and walk-on midfielder Maureen Riley (Louisville Du Pont High School).

Two earn MAC honors

Two different athletes earned Mid-American Conference honors this week.

Senior forward Kaihla Szunko was named MAC West Player of the Week after recording her 16th double-double of the season in Saturday’s 78-72 win against Kent State. Szunko finished with 19 points and 11 rebounds.

CMU junior thrower Kevin Mays was named MAC Field Athlete of the Week for his fourth-place finish in the weight throw at the Akron Invitational, recording a career-best toss of 65 feet, 9 inches.

The CMU track programs host the Jack Skoog Open Friday.