EDITORIAL: Students should pay attention to, vote in SGA elections

There is a trend at Central Michigan University that is sadly not dissimilar to that of the American people: Many eligible voters do not participate in their local democracies. Student Government Association elections for next year's president, vice president, treasurer and senators begin Monday and students should pay attention.

SGA is more important than many realize. While it does not have the power to make drastic policy changes at CMU with a swipe of its pen, it does have influence with those who do. The SGA president acts as a conduit to the CMU administration and it is crucial the student body elect a leader willing to go to bat for students and their interests with the administration.

In the past two years under former SGA President Jason Nichol and current President Brittany Mouzourakis, SGA has had growing influence in enacting change at CMU. The progress included the Print Q allocation fund, which is a reserve for students who require more money for the paid-printing system than what is allotted at the beginning of the semester. It also spearheaded a pro bono legal clinic for students to utilize when in need of legal advice.

It also approved a resolution supporting gender-neutral housing and is pushing for off-campus apartment complexes to have more recycling services available to students.

SGA is only as effectual as its leaders, and if the student body does not elect someone willing to do what it takes, it could spell trouble for the organization and campus as a whole.

Additionally, both the SGA president and vice president receive 12 credit hours paid for by the university, which means students are ultimately footing the bill. Students should know their money is helping pay for their education and should expect the favor to be returned with good leadership.

SGA presidential candidates, Shelby Township senior Vincent Cavataio and Grand Blanc junior Robert Brooks, and vice presidential candidates, Jackson junior Bryant English and Brighton sophomore Colleen McNeely, need to step up to the plate and be ready to go to task when required.

Having a strong student voice that consistently works with the administration and Academic Senate is crucial to ensure student opinion is heard.

Students should be prepared to vote for whom they feel will best represent them with a firm, cohesive voice.