Two new fraternity houses to be built on Main Street

Two new fraternity dwellings for up to 12 occupants were granted special use permits and had their site plans approved Thursday.

The neighboring properties, 1005 and 1007 S. Main St. will be demolished and then reconstructed.

Each property will have a rear parking lot with 14 spaces.

Olivieri Homes is working on the properties, along with other nearby properties 1029 S. Main St. and 1001 S. Main St.

"We're really going to clean up that block," said owner Joe Olivieri.

Existing buildings at 1007 and 1001 S. Main St. will come down this year, while 1005 will be torn down in the summer of 2012.

The buildings will have the same concept as the recent sorority house Olivieri built at 802 S. Main St, he said.

In the past, there have been complaints about overflowing dumpsters associated with these type of large buildings.

The problem does not stem from the numerous tenants in the buildings, but from illegal dumping of trash from others passing by.

"Once we put a dumpster out it becomes fair game, so we got rid of the dumpster and are now using four trash carts," Olivieri said.

If that is not enough, Olivieri will provide more carts, he said.

L-1 Bar and Grille

The planning commission approved an amendment to the design of L-1 Bar & Grille, 1705 S. Mission at Thursday's meeting .

Previously the commission had approved a design that would allow for 100 seats during restaurant hours and 75 seats when the dance floor is cleared for dancing.

But it was discovered that 100 seating was supposed to be maintained at all times.

"This new layout is intended to comply with standards and remain under code," said Jeff Gray, director of planning and community development. "This will not go over the occupancy code."

The commission approved the new plan to be used for both the restaurant hours and nightclub hours.

Kerry Chahil, president and CEO of L-1, Inc. said the day before opening, city officials will be able to see the restaurant and receive a complimentary food and beverage.

"We want you guys to see we are being held to the highest standard," Chahil said.