CMU DE Kashawn Fraser suspended indefinitely after domestic violence, drunken driving convictions

krasermug

Central Michigan senior defensive end Kashawn Fraser has been suspended from the football team indefinitely after legal issues including domestic abuse.

Fraser, 21, was convicted of domestic violence following an incident with his girlfriend, a former CMU women's basketball player, on Jan. 9 on the 1800 block of Liberty Drive in Mount Pleasant. He faces nine months probation and a $963 fine.

According to Isabella County court documents, Fraser's girlfriend of three years accused him of grabbing her by the shirt, throwing her to the floor and dragging her around the bedroom. During the incident, she also accused him of slapping her with an open hand in the neck and face area several times.

Court documents show that the altercation stemmed from a struggle over text messages Fraser received from another woman. After accusing Fraser of cheating, his girlfriend allegedly pushed him once and slapped him in the chest twice. According to court records, they were separated by Fraser's male roommate.

Fraser was arraigned at the Isabella County court on Feb. 14 and pleaded no contest on March 8.

Three days before his plea, Fraser, 20 at the time, had a second run-in with the law. At 2:20 a.m. on March 5, he was pulled over by CMU Police at the intersection of Broomfield and Crawford roads for operating a vehicle while visibly impaired.

He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 93 days in jail, six months probation and a $1,125 fine. After serving one day, it was determined that the remaining sentence would be suspended if he completed all terms, including probation, a victim impact panel, a substance abuse program and the Alcohol Highway Safety Education program.

Since then, Fraser has completed a victim impact panel and paid all fines. He cannot drink alcohol or attend any establishment where alcohol is served.

"We have been aware of the situation from the outset and Kashawn has been subject to internal discipline within the program," CMU head coach Dan Enos said in a statement Friday. "He is currently under an indefinite suspension, and his future with the program is being evaluated on a daily basis."

The 6-foot-3, 247-pound defensive end from Coconut Creek, Fla., has not participated in spring practice this season. He missed the team's home opener against Hampton last season while serving a one-game suspension for a violation of team policy.

Fraser started nine games for the Chippewas in 2010, recording 27 tackles and recovering a fumble Nov. 5 against Western Michigan. He competed in 10 games each of his freshman and sophomore seasons.

Keep checking cm-life.com for more on this developing story.