CMU LB Armond Staten sentenced to 4 months probation, fined $450 for malicious destruction of property

statenmug

Another Central Michigan football player is in trouble with the law.

Junior linebacker Armond Staten, 21, has been sentenced to four months non-reporting probation and a $450 fine for malicious destruction of property between $200 and $1,000 at University Meadows apartments, 4310 Sterling Way, on March 27, according to court documents.

Staten plead guilty to charges on April 12 under the condition that he must serve 40 hours of community service within 30 days or serve five days in jail. The first fine payment of $113 is due May 12 and will continue until Aug. 12, when a final payment of $111 is due.

CMU head coach Dan Enos declined to comment on the situation.

In a prepared statement from CMU athletics: "Armond was disciplined internally during the spring and at this point we consider the matter closed.”

A 6-foot-1, 214-pound linebacker, Staten was recruited out of Inkster High School by former head coach Butch Jones. He recorded 78 total tackles, five forced fumbles and a sack while playing in all 12 games last season.

Injuries to Nick Bellore allowed Staten to start the final nine games of the season at outside linebacker. In CMU's 26-22 win against Western Michigan, he had 11 tackles, three forced fumbles and a sack. The Chippewas named him their Defensive Upfront Player of the Year at the team's annual postseason banquet.

Following a spring practice earlier this month, assistant coach and linebackers coach Kyle Nystrom told CM Life he wanted to see more leadership from Staten.

"He's not where we need him yet," Nystrom said of Staten's leadership abilities. "“The group of linebackers were dominated by two guys, but it’s different now. Gaining leadership qualities isn’t something that happens overnight. Staten and (senior linebacker Mike) Petrucci will be those guys, but it doesn’t happen overnight.”

Staten and Petrucci are expected to start at linebacker next season.

Keep checking cm-life.com for more updates on this developing story.