College of Medicine associate dean finalist to visit Monday, has helped start 3 other medical schools

Dr. Joel Lanphear said he is looking forward to visiting Central Michigan University and discussing his hopes for the medical school.

Lanphear, College of Medicine associate dean/medical education finalist, will speak at an open forum from 1 to 1:45 p.m. Monday in Health Professions Building 2255.

He said one of his strengths is that he has already developed three start-up medical schools. He said he has a background in leadership and helping individuals meet their own goals.

The new medical school at CMU is appealing because it engages in partnerships with other health care agencies, Lanphear said.

"Engagement (with other health care agencies) can help us better understand the needs of the communities and the individuals in those communities," he said.

Lanphear is a professor of medical education and associate dean of Undergraduate Medical Education at the Northern Ontario School of Medicine in Thunder Bay, Ontario. He said he helped create "innovative and responsive" programs to meet health care needs of the community and establish a "social accountability mandate" at NOSM.

Dr. Linda Perkowski also was named as an associate dean finalist after a nationwide search. She will speak at an open forum from 1:30 to 2:15 p.m. on April 21 in HPB 2255.

Thomas Masterson, associate dean of the College of Health Professions and search committee co-chair, said both candidates are highly qualified.

Masterson said the position is a big undertaking and the associate dean will be proactive in getting the curriculum developed for the medical school. Many people are involved with accreditation and the associate dean will be in charge of the overall accreditation process. Both have experience in accreditation, he said.

The associate dean will also help develop courses and workshops to hone faculty skills for medical education, Masterson said.

He said the salary for the position will be negotiated between the candidate and Provost Gary Shapiro.

Both candidates will be involved with the search committee and the College of Medicine during their respective visits to CMU, Masterson said. He said they will receive tours of the campus and Mount Pleasant.

"We're spending a lot of time with these candidates," he said.

Masterson said the committee will base its decision on the finalists' resumes, references and phone interviews. He said the committee will probably make a decision about two weeks after Perkowski visits campus.

Masterson said once the decision is made other College of Medicine deans will act as mentors, but both finalists are already "seasoned veterans" of medical schools.

"They know what needs to be done," he said.

Masterson said the fun part of the selection process is meeting the candidates, and he looks forward to their campus visits.