Freshman Brittney Horan plays like a veteran in weekend games

When women’s softball coach Margo Jonker was asked about who had recruited left fielder Brittney Horan, she laughed and sheepishly raised her hand.

Despite coming out of high school with an impressive athletic resume, Horan, a Rosebush native, wasn’t being looked at by many Division 1 programs.

“She is a kid that (Mount Pleasant High School coach) Ted McIntyre told me that he thought she could play Division 1,” Jonker said. “And he has not said that about many people. He usually is very tough on his kids as far as saying where they can play at the next level.”

A high school letter winner in softball, basketball and wrestling, Horan set single-season records with 21 doubles and 13 triples in 2010 and was awarded a first team all-state honor that season. Horan eventually decided upon CMU, a decision which didn’t come until late in her senior season.

As a freshman Horan has been on a tear, hitting .375 in her last 40 at-bats. With 18 hits in 44 at bats, she has accounted for 14 hits since April 6, including the only hit, a two-out single, in the Chippewas' April 13 loss to No. 2 ranked Michigan.

This past weekend Horan combined to go 5-for-12 in doubleheaders against Miami and Ball State on Friday and Sunday, respectively. In the four games Horan contributed two RBIs on Friday to boost her season total to seven.

Horan also scored a run on the day as CMU swept Miami by scores of 5-3 and 8-5. Horan’s stats dipped slightly on Sunday as she had only one hit and no runs scored.

She says her offensive spurt is as simple as trying to make something happen each time at the plate.

“It’s just going out there and not thinking too much, just trying to put the ball into play and make something happen,” Horan said.

Horan also sits in second place on the team in steals, with nine in 10 attempts.

Defensively, Horan may have made the biggest impact over the weekend as she contributed eight total put outs on Friday. Despite winds in excess of 25 mph throughout the day, Horan was able to make several acrobatic catches in left field to help prevent runs.

“It was tough playing the wind and playing the best I could,” Horan said. “(On the one missed ball of the day), It just tailed a lot — the wind affected it, but also being a lefty it tailed a lot too.”

Sunday was equally as challenging for the left fielder as winds gust upwards of 36 mph were registered at Margo Jonker Stadium. The wind changed directions and blew away from her post in left field, but Horan added a put-out that she grabbed against the outfield fence. Horan’s currently fielding at a 1.000 percent with no errors on the year.

Jonker said Horan’s performance of late has been exceptional and she has been more than pleased with the contributions she has made.

“She is such a good athlete and she is tough,” Jonker said. “She shows that willingness to get down and dirty when you need to.”