CMU 11, EMU 3: Coldren grand slam leads mercy-rule win against Eagles

ark-dornbos-01
Sophmore pitcher Kara Dornbos takes the rubber Sunday against the Eastern Michigan Eagles at Margo Jonker Stadium in Mount Pleasant. Dornbos pitched five innings and had seven strikeouts during the Chippewas' 11-3 win over the Eagles. (Andrew Kuhn/Staff Photographer)

The Central Michigan softball team came back from yesterday’s loss with an 11-3 mercy win against Eastern Michigan Sunday, propelled by a grand slam from junior Molly Coldren.

Junior Ashley Gilson got the start in left field, only her second start since April 5. She didn’t disappoint with two hits and three runs batted in.

“It’s been a roller coaster year for me,” Gilson said. “Coach gave me a chance today and I just wanted to step up and get us back to playing Chippewa softball. It picks my spirit back up.”

Gilson came into the day with only four hits, one RBI and one extra base hit. She tripled her RBI total and, in her first at-bat, hit her first home run of the season, tying the game at 1.

“She gave me the ball on a silver platter,” Gilson said of the pitch. “I just had to relax and swing.”

Gilson made a full-extension diving catch down the left field line with runners on in the final inning.

“She was key for us today,” CMU head coach Margo Jonker said of Gilson. “Obviously her first at bat she hit a home run and that defensive play was an amazing play that could have been a game changer. She did awesome today.”

Molly Coldren hit her grand slam in the middle of a nine-run fourth inning that saw five CMU hits and one Eagle error.

Kara Dornbos won her team-high 11th win in the circle after throwing five innings, striking out seven and only giving up two earned runs.

“Dornbos’ drop ball was moving quite well today,” Jonker said. “It was good for her to get ahead of hitters.”

CMU (26-18, 10-8 Mid-American Conference) will take tomorrow off and hold a few workouts during finals week, focusing on softball after that. On Friday, the Chippewas host Kent State for a doubleheader and play Buffalo on Saturday and Sunday.

“We’re hoping to shift this momentum into next weekend against Kent State and Buffalo,” Gilson said.