Report: Kito Poblah ineligible for CFL supplemental draft after failing to prove Canadian citizenship

poblahmug

It's been a frustrating two months for former Central Michigan wide receiver Kito Poblah.

The 6-foot-2, 213-pound Montreal native has been dealing with the Canadian Football League over issues regarding his Canadian citizenship.

"It’s frustrating because everybody knows I’m Canadian, I’m able work in Canada," he said. "But if they cannot prove it, I’ll leave it in God's hands. I’m just doing what I can do and I’m going to keep on moving."

Poblah has been unable to prove his Canadian citizenship in accordance to league guidelines and will be unavailable in Sunday's CFL supplemental draft, according to a report Friday in the Winnipeg Free Press.

He has been in contact with the CFL and will continue to send in paperwork, but said he believes he's sent in as much as he can.

"I’m still trying to send paperwork to the CFL because they're asking for more stuff," he said. "I've sent as much as I could. We’ve been trying to solve this for the past two months, but for some reason it’s still an issue."

The Winnipeg Bombers, who currently posses the first, fourth, 17th, 24th, 32nd and 41st selections and hold waiver priority, have showed great interest in selecting Poblah, and will now have to change up plans ahead of this weekend's draft.

"Obviously everybody's been hounding the league for an answer because the kid's a definite prospect,” Bombers Assistant General Manager Ross Hodgkinson told the Winnipeg Free Press. “But if he was a primary focus for a team the question now is, how are you going to fill that particular need?

"At some point you have to decide this is the situation and move forward and we've come to that point."

Poblah was home-schooled prior to moving to the United States, where he attended Pembroke Pines Charter High School in Florida.

According to the Winnipeg Free Press, a source close to Poblah said he was searching to find the documentation to prove his Canadian citizenship or else he will be declared an import.

"As of right now – and we don't see it being resolved any time soon – we don't think he's going to qualify as a non-import and so we'll make whatever modifications necessary for Sunday," Hodgkinson said about Poblah’s situation.

In four seasons at CMU, Poblah had 154 receptions, 1,908 yards receiving and 15 touchdowns.

Keep checking cm-life.com for updates on this developing story.