Rose attempts to win national championship

It has been 33 years since Central Michigan’s Bruno Pauletto won the Indoor National Championship in the shot put.

“It has been so long since the last (National) Champion at Central Michigan and winning would bring a lot of benefits to the university and the program,” said track and field director Willie Randolph.

This week, West Branch sophomore Alex Rose is heading to Des Moines, Iowa to compete in the 2011 Outdoor National Championship in the discus and he his chances of winning are very good.

Of the 42 individuals who qualified for the National Championships, Rose heads into the championships ranked among the top six in the nation.

Rose will go against some big names from big schools, but Rose knows that his name belongs with theirs.

Sophomore Julian Wruck of Texas Tech is currently first in the nation, but didn’t win the West Regional Championship. That honor went to Brigham Young University senior Leif Arrhenius, who comes into the competition ranked second. Kansas University’s sophomore Michael Finley finished third and is ranked in the same position.

University of Kentucky senior Colin Boevers won the East regional and is ranked just ahead of Rose at fourth. Louisiana Tech senior Larry Jones came in second at the regional and comes in ranked No. 11 in the nation.

“There are a lot of great athletes competing Wednesday,” Alex Rose said yesterday. “I’ve been talking to some guys the whole season so it will be cool to have one meet where we are all doing our best and competing against each other.”

This is Rose’s second time representing CMU at the National Championships and he is hoping that the experience he has will help put him into the top spot in the nation and make sure he brings home a new trophy to showcase in the Indoor Athletic Complex.