Lee balances off-field activities with CMU field hockey

In today’s society many student-athletes put athletics before schooling.

The pressure to succeed on the field has become almost as important, if not more so, than what the athletes do off the field.

For field hockey midfielder Paulina Lee, her list of off-field activities is inconceivable. One wouldn’t believe she had time for her sport based on her resume.

“If you ever saw her resume, you would be impressed,” said Erin Dye, a teammate and fellow marketing major. “She is a large reason why other business majors and I have gotten more involved.”

That resume includes: a plethora of jobs for Alpha Kappa Psi, campus ambassador for Procter & Gamble for safe drinking water for children water, Boyne Resorts receptionist, junior accountant executive for Archer Inc., student marketing coordinator and assistant Chippewas Kids Club coordinator, and internship at Procter & Gamble, vice president of NCAA Student-Athletic Advisory Committee.

But that’s just outside of what she does when field hockey season comes around.

She won placement on the National Field Hockey Coaches’ Association Division I academic squad, represented CMU at the inaugural NCAA Career in Sports Forum, was a Jane McNamara Scholar-Athlete recipient, also was a Chi Alpha Sigma (National College Athlete Society) 2011 inductee, was named a Dick Enberg Schloar-Athlete of the Year and 2011 Bill Boyden Leadership Award winner.

Not to mention she currently has a GPA ranging between 3.85-4.0.

Paulina’s parents, Betty and Paul Lee, emigrated from China to the U.S. to study in the states.

Her father Paul came from Hong Kong, attended Cornell for his undergraduate and attended the University of Rochester for his graduate studies, obtaining a PhD, as well as two masters degrees. He has also worked for Kodak Co. and Kodak-ITT Geospatial Systems.

Her mother Betty came from Macau and attended Nazareth College of Rochester during her undergraduate degree, and attended the Rochester Institute of Technology for her graduate studies where she received a Masters of Business Administration. She’s currently a bookkeeper at a Catholic church, but worked at Xerox Co.

Paulina also has an older sister, Christina Lee, who graduated from Cornell and works as a scientist for Johnson and Johnson, Inc.

“My parents have worked very hard to be where they are today,” Paulina Lee said. “My sister and I are also very close.”

Paulina’s work ethic both on and off the field most likely has a great deal to do with her parents ambitious approach for education, along with her high school atmosphere at Mendon High School in Pittsford, N.Y.

“In high school we were always encouraged to join a lot of things,” Lee said.

So that is what she did. Not just playing field hockey, she also played soccer and was involved in art classes, orchestra, choir, government, varsity club, French club, National Honors Society and advanced placement courses.

“There were little cliques in high school and she didn’t get into that, she actually brought them together,” said Peggy Smith-Lewis, Lee’s high school coach. “She took the leadership roles even if they weren’t appointed to her.”

Lee has appeared in 52 games, starting in 30, helping CMU advance to three Mid-American Conference semifinals since coming to CMU. Her highlights include scoring on a penalty stroke in a shootout against Ohio and having the winning assist last season against Providence.

But despite all she is involved in, she still has one true love.

“One of things I loved was the team and coaches Cristy (Freese) and Earl (Maris),” Lee said. “There were also a couple older girls who I had played on club teams with, so I had a family out there already.”