Alpha Chi Rho suspended until fall of 2014

Alpha Chi Rho's Central Michigan University chapter has been suspended from campus for three years because of alleged hazing incidents.

The social fraternity has received a sanction of suspension from CMU until the fall of 2014 for hazing potential members. The university and Alpha Chi Rho's national chapter investigated reports of hazing and decided to issue the suspension on Sept. 23.

Assistant Director of Student Life Tom Idema said in an email, the punishment was issued by the Alpha Chi Rho national fraternity with university policy.

Idema said the decision was not made by the Interfraternity Council, which determined the fate of CMU’s Lambda Chi Alpha chapter in early September.

"The university received a complaint that Alpha Chi Rho had been hazing its members. The University worked with the national office of Alpha Chi Rho to look into these allegations," Idema said. "The national office decided last Friday to close the chapter until the fall of 2014. The university adjudicated this case, according to the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Disciplinary Procedures."

The decision comes less than a month after the suspension of Lambda Chi Alpha, which was suspended for four years following a recruiting violation involving non-members and alcohol.

Unlike in the case of Lambda Chi Alpha, in which letters were removed from the fraternity house and the house closed, Alpha Chi Rho will continue to display letters on their house and members will continue to live there.

The loss of the Alpha Chi Rho chapter leaves only nine social fraternities left on CMU’s campus, two less than the 11 social sororities.

Members of Alpha Chi Rho's CMU chapter declined to comment on the suspension to Central Michigan Life.

The Alpha Chi Rho national office was unable to be reached for comment by the time of publication Sunday.