CMU field hockey falls in double overtime

Junior midfielder Erin Dye runs the ball down the field during the game against Kent State at the CMU Field Hockey Complex Saturday afternoon. (Charlotte Bodak/Staff Photographer)

The Kent State field hockey team boisterously sang its fight song on Saturday before a hushed crowd that witnessed Central Michigan lose in double overtime.

KSU clinched the victory in the 87th minute, winning 4-3 in a battle for second place in the Mid-American conference.

“We had opportunities in regulation to put them away and we didn’t get it done and that’s the next step.” CMU head coach Cristy Freese said. “Our kids feel pretty bad, they’re upset, they’re crying, so I don’t think I need to beat a dead horse.”

The Golden Flashes were down 3-1 when they lit up the scoreboard in the last 10 minutes of regulation.

KSU senior Debbie Bell tied the game on a Hail Mary pass that she did not allow to touch the ground before hitting the back of the net with four minutes left.

“I don’t think our kids have seen that before,” Freese said. “I mean a lift into the circle and a kid takes a baseball swing.”

Freese consoled freshman Jordyn Brengosz, who felt the pain of the goal that evened the score.

“Jordy was upset about how that third goal was scored,” Freese said. “Her hands are pretty sore, but we put a freshman on her and I thought she handled Debbie (Bell) pretty well.”

The Chippewas notched the first two goals of the game in the first 20 minutes.

Cayleigh Immelman intercepted a pass and maneuvered around a Golden Flashes defender to chip it over the goalie.

Sophomore Bailey McKeon scored the second goal and fifth in the last two weeks.

“I haven’t really been thinking of scoring,” McKeon said. “I think we’ve just been trying to connect together as forwards. In the beginning, I was jumbled up and I just have cleared my mind.”

CMU’s last goal was by junior Emily Girasole, who brought the lead back to two in the 50th minute.

A chance to rise to the top of MAC standings was swept away on Friday when they lost 2-0 to Ohio.

“I thought we were right there with them,” Freese said. “The only concern I had is I thought the last 15 minutes of the game we looked like a young team”

Failing to slide the ball past OU’s defense resulted in one shot on goal for the day, in comparison to six shots by the Bobcats.

The Chippewas will finish out their home schedule next weekend against Miami and Ball State.

“What our kids have to do is continue to move forward and do the things that we’re trying to improve on,” Freese said. “As long as we can stay positive and focused we can use the experience so when we’re older we make better decisions.”


Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in Central Michigan Life.