Gary John Reen to be sentenced for second-degree murder, felony use of firearm in December

Gary John Reen pleaded guilty Monday to second-degree murder and to felony use of a firearm.

Reen, 56, was charged with open murder when he went to the Isabella County Sheriff’s Department on April 1 and said he shot his wife, Cheryl Reen.

When the police went to Reen’s home, 7120 East River Road in Chippewa Township, Reen’s wife was found dead on the ground in their pole barn after having been shot multiple times, according to a press release sent out by Isabella County Prosecutor Larry Burdick.

Burdick said the plea hearing started at about 10 a.m. on Monday.

According to an affidavit filed in court, Reen said the couple was having marital issues with plans to divorce, and he had accused his wife of having an affair.

The court asked several questions to Reen to make sure he was aware of the rights he was voluntarily waiving entering a plea, all of which Reen understood. After Reen made his plea, the defense attorney was asked to elucidate facts for a pleaing code.

“Anytime someone pleads guilty, the court has to obtain a factual basis from them as to why they plead they’re guilty of the crime,” Burdick said.

The court accepted the plea after determining it was accurate, and he was then scheduled for sentencing on Dec. 8. Reen will also have to see a probation officer, who will conduct a pre-sentence report.

Reen’s case was originally scheduled for trial on Dec. 12, the press release stated. This trial has been canceled after Reen’s guilty plea.

Reen’s charges also led to the termination of his job as a maintenance technician at Copper Beech Townhomes, 4750 E. Bluegrass Road, according to a letter sent to tenants on April 6.

Reen could be sentenced to life in prison in addition to a two-year prison sentence for the firearm conviction.