George Ross isn't first CMU president to get A-Senate no confidence vote

University President George Ross is not the first Central Michigan University president to receive a no confidence vote from the Academic Senate.

In 1991 former-President Edward B. Jakubauskas faced a no confidence vote by both the A-Senate and the Student Government Association. He also faced collective bargaining differences with clerical workers, which led to  the group striking in the fall 1991 semester. The A-Senate took a vote of no confidence on Sept. 4, 1991 following votes of no confidence from several departments.

He announced his resignation on Nov. 8, 1991 according to Central Michigan Life archives, though he said in his announcement it was not due to the no confidence votes or collective bargaining difficulties.

“If this were the most glorious place in the country, I’d still want to leave,” he said at the time. “It’s very tiring ... You can work hard seven day a week and it’s not enough. It’s never enough.”

During a Board of Trustees meeting on Sept. 9 then-Chairwoman Margaret Ann Riecker read a prepared statement to audience members about faith in Jakubauskas.

“The Board of Trustees ... affirms its confidence in and support of the administration in its efforts to incorporate the present economic realities in its negotiations with the various campus unions,” she said.

Ross, along with Provost Gary Shapiro both faced the vote from A-Senate Tuesday afternoon. After a 52 percent vote passed in favor of the no confidence motion Board of Trustees Chairwoman Sarah Opperman said she still supports them in their positions.

“The Board remains confident in the leadership of Drs. Ross and Shapiro and their commitment to the academic, personal and professional success for our students,” Opperman said Tuesday.

Jakubauskas, who began the presidency in 1988, finished in 1992 and Leonard Plachta took the top position. Plachta stayed as president until 2000.

Vince Cavatio, Student Government Association president and Shelby Township senior, said personally he has confidence in Ross and Shapiro but that doesn’t mean a vote can’t be taken in SGA.

He said he has talked to Graduate student Michelle Campbell and senior Chris Benison, both student senators in A-Senate who presented the vote of no confidence, and said the two “definitely” could present a no confidence resolution to SGA.

Frank Boles, director of Clarke Historical Library, said he remembers Jakubauksas’ resignation but could not recall if a provost ever faced a vote of no confidence.