Trustee Opperman: 'Let's begin to heal as a university'

opperman-09-0302

The Board of Trustees and seven college deans are standing by University President George Ross and Provost Gary Shapiro after an Academic Senate's vote of no confidence.

The symbolic vote, taken Tuesday, passed with a 52 percent majority. Chairwoman Sarah Opperman responded by stating the board was still confident in the leadership of the two.

When the meeting opened for public comment, student Senators Michelle Campbell and Chris Benison, who introduced the no confidence motion at A-Senate, took the floor.

"We expect the CMU Board of Trustees to address this no confidence vote with the seriousness it deserves," Benison said. "Once again, as student representatives of the Academic Senate, we will hold this board accountable for its response to this no confidence vote."

All seven college deans, including the College of Medicine Founding Dean Ernest Yoder, presented a similar statement at Thursday's board meeting.

"Any effort to undermine their leadership at CMU is detrimental to this institution," said Charles Crespy, dean of the College of Business Administration.

Psychology professor Bryan Gibson also took the floor for, urging the board to dismiss Ross from his position as president immediately.

There will be strong opposition to whatever action Ross takes, whether it is the medical school or other initiative, and Gibson said he thinks that doesn't bother Ross.

"His presidency has been crippled by his actions," he said.

Loud applause followed from faculty in the overflow room next door.

The board listened to the public comments, but did not respond directly.

"There are certain roles as chair. One of those is not saying something when you'd really like to. But that has been the policy," Opperman said. "I will try to not directly respond to comments made other than to thank all of those that have."

Opperman talked during a press conference about the number of people that are angry about the administration.

"I think it’s a small part of university, from what I see, that is feeling very uncomfortable," Opperman said.

Trustee Sam Kottamasu will be appointed the board's chairman next year; Opperman will become a Vice Chair.

"In 2012, we start with being productive and building trust," Opperman said. "Let's begin to heal as a university."

The A-Senate vote of no confidence isn't the only thing that Trustees discuss. Opperman mentioned being happy with that the Faculty Association and CMU have come to an agreement.

Negotiations have been ongoing to aid the contract impasse between CMU and the FA for more than five months.

A temporary agreement was reached last week with Isabella County Circuit Court Judge Paul H. Chamberlain; the FA will vote to ratify the contract early next semester.