Tentative agreement allows FA to keep MESSA; vote to be held Jan. 11, 12

Central Michigan University and the Faculty Association's Dec. 2 tentative agreement allows the FA to keep MESSA for health care if members absorb premium increases, but includes no salary changes from the university's original offer made before the fall semester began.

CMU's Nov. 11 offer allowed FA members to keep MESSA only until June 30 and under certain conditions.

The offer would provide a 2012-13 salary increase of 1.25 percent plus $830 to members, and a salary increase of 1.5 percent increase and $835 in 2013-14.

The proposed contract, obtained Wednesday by Central Michigan Life, also excludes College of Medicine faculty from the bargaining unit at the university's request. Originally, CMU proposed to also exclude coaches hired after July 1, 2011, and any other professional program.

Under the contract, CMED tuition remission would be capped at the in-state doctoral graduate cost. Also, a study committee to review issues related to ProfEd would be created.

In addition, the contract states if a faculty member goes on total disability leave, the member’s college would only be obligated to hold a tenure-track position available for two years, instead of four, in case the member returns to work.

Faculty salary for supplemental activity such as summer sessions, off-campus/online courses and overload work would be capped at $2,750 per credit hour. However, the earnings formula would remain unchanged.

The contract would also allow CMU to void a course development contract if the course is not completed within the contracted timeframe.

Faculty members were informed of the tentative contract terms on Dec. 12. There will be a repeat of that information at a 11 a.m. meeting Thursday at French Auditorium in the Education and Human Services Building.

Members will vote to ratify the contract from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Jan. 11 and 12 on campus, FA President Laura Frey said. The vote will be held in the Lake Michigan Room of the Bovee University Center, according to an email obtained by CM Life.

There has been no discussion of what will happen if the members vote "no" on the contract, Frey said. The FA has not decided if it would appoint a new bargaining team in that situation.