YEAR IN REVIEW #3: College of Medicine still less than halfway to fundraising goal

The year 2011 came and went, and the Central Michigan University College of Medicine is still at less than its stated fundraising goal.

About 50 percent of an initial $25 million has been raised thus far, said Kathy Wilbur, Vice President of Development and External Relations, at the CMED Board of Trustees committee meeting in early December.

Provost Gary Shapiro said in an email to the campus community on Nov. 11 that CMU estimates the startup cost for CMED is “likely to exceed $30 million.” The university initially set aside $25 million over five years to fund CMED startup.

The initial vision for CMED emphasized only teaching issues, rather than research, Shapiro said. The estimates now include preparing excellent physicians, as well as engaging in high-quality research and clinical opportunities, he said.

The university also anticipates the need for an additional $3 million in continuing annual support for the medical program, he said in the release.

In October, the Academic Senate voted to halt further development of CMED curriculum, although it was uncertain if the vote was symbolic or if the A-Senate had the authority to do so.

The A-Senate's concerns regarded the university’s lack of detailed account about the feasibility of CMED to the A-Senate, faculty and students. The main complaint of the motion was the university’s lack of public communication and low participation with faculty and students.

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education visited campus Nov. 13 through 16 to decide if CMED would move toward earning academic accreditation.

About 40 faculty members formed a silent protest against CMED in Rowe Hall hoping to be spotted by LCME members. Four faculty members met with the LCME members later that week to discuss their concerns.

The LCME will vote in February whether to grant CMED preliminary accreditation, and the CMED committee should receive a letter regarding the results in March.

Shapiro said CMU does not tag dollars, so he does not know how much money from tuition has gone toward funding CMED. He said, however, tuition has not been increased because of CMED.

“Although we don’t tag dollars, we have not raised tuition to pay for the College of Medicine,” he said.

Of the 30 foundation scientists who CMED intends to hire, Founding Dean Ernest Yoder said the school currently has about 14. The medical school will also employ 80 clinicians, and about 40 to 45 have committed.

Yoder said the school is expecting to receive provisional accreditation from LCME in 2015, and full accreditation in 2017. CMED expects its first class to begin in the summer of 2013.