Adams, Anderson set two CMU distance records at Notre Dame

Central Michigan long-distance runners Tecumseh Adams and Holly Anderson each set long distance records Friday at the Meyo Inviational in South Bend, Ind.

Anderson, senior distance runner, set a 5k record with a time of 16:49.93.

“(Assistant) coach (Matt) Kaczor was excited about the record,” Anderson said. “But neither of us were happy about the race.”

Anderson said she aimed to run in the low 16:40's.

“There were some parts where I didn’t make moves that I should have,” she said.

Sophomore distance runner Adams set a 3k record with a time of 8:02.39.

Three distance records have been set so far this season – two in the past eight days.

Anderson said the 5k time is also her personal record by about 20 seconds. She said the personal record, or PR, is an authoritative mark of success.

“PR is really exciting because you put so much work into getting them,” Anderson said. “The races are really a culmination of what you do all day every day, so it’s really the best indicator.”

Senior thrower Kevin Mays set a career-best weight throw Friday in Findlay, Ohio with a distance of 67-06.25. Although his first five throws were foul, Mays said he didn't lose confidence because the foul throws were as far as he’s thrown all season.

“The level of competition helped me focus,” Mays said. “I didn’t want to embarrass myself or my team.”

Nike-sponsored professional thrower A.G. Krueger threw the best distance of 80-11.75. Mays and Krueger both competed in the elite section of the weight throw.

In the other weight throw section, senior Ryan McCullough and sophomore Calvin Jackson both finished third and fourth respectively. McCullough threw 60-01.75, and Jackson threw 57-11.

Mays said he has high confidence going into the week and upcoming meets, but still must focus on fundamentals. Weight throwing requires a fine touch and repetition like a pitcher in baseball, he said.

“I think that’s the most important thing for me is to focus on my technique and my control,” Mays said.

At Notre Dame, sophomore Ross Parsons finished eleventh in the 60-meter dash with a time of 6.93.

Freshman Lucas Bade finished fifth in the 500-meter with a time of 1:04.43.