ASLS holding American Sign Language workshop Saturday

The American Sign Language Society is hosting a workshop that will be held Saturday.

The event will run from 12 to 4:30 p.m., with doors opening at 11:30 a.m., in Anspach Hall 161.

The workshop is open to the public, and those with any level of ASL knowledge will be able to attend the programs. There will be interpreters available during the workshop.

“If there are signing presenters, there will be an interpreter for the hearing people in the audience,” said ASLS President and Caledonia senior Emily Vaughn.

There will be three levels of programs: basic, intermediate and advanced. Some planned programs include demonstrations of signing songs, a presentation from the mother of a Deaf child and career stories from audiology students from Central Michigan University and Western Michigan University.

This event is being held to raise awareness of the Deaf community on campus as well as help hearing people learn more about the Deaf community.

“We want to help the hearing people learn and change the misconception that people who are Deaf have a disability," Vaughn said. "It’s not a disability at all.”

Half of the proceeds raised will go toward general event expenses, and the other half will fund a new scholarship to enhance CMU’s Deaf population and the ASL community on campus, according to Scholarship Advisor and Tecumseh senior Nicholas Royal.

The $5 cost of attendance covers three sessions of choice and will also automatically enter people in a raffle with three main prizes.

“What I can say is that the first place prize will be $30 worth of merchandise and a Starbucks gift card,” said ASLS Personal Relations Chairwoman and Utica senior Allie Young.