Education students to urge Farwell middle schoolers to choose college in camp next month

Central Michigan University’s middle-level education students are working to make a difference.

Next month, students will hold Camp Farwell, an overnight college awareness and self-discovery event at Farwell Middle School, to inspire sixth-grade students.

The idea began after Warren senior Thomas Trenkamp attended a service leadership camp through CMU’s volunteer center. He was motivated to write a grant proposal to Michigan Campus Compact.

“Everyone in attendance was offered to write mini-grants,” he said. “When I came back, I was planning on writing a grant. I just didn’t know what to write it for.”

Trenkamp contacted Education Professor Norma Bailey and other education students to brainstorm an idea for the grant. Ultimately, the decision was made to hold an overnight camp for sixth graders at Farwell Middle School.

The event will focus on two main themes: self-discovery and higher education.

“It is an opportunity for students to develop a greater understanding for themselves by attending college and group activities and community-building exercises,” Bailey said.

Trenkamp said the years around seventh grade are considered the most influential time for students to make the decision of whether to continue in higher education.

“As students are developing a sense of self, what’s really important is for teachers to let them realize they can go to college and the opportunities available for them,” Trenkamp said.

Trenkamp ultimately chose sixth grade, because he said he believes it is an age where students are still working to feel comfortable in their own skin.

“Something that is unique is that they have a negative connotation about this grade,” he said. “There are no natural leaders yet. They haven’t come out of their shell yet.”

Trenkamp said choosing Farwell was a fairly easy decision because of the work CMU has done with the middle school in the past.

“Farwell is a really great district,” he said. “They help us so much, so it’s great when we can give.”

Like Trenkamp, Bailey agreed holding the event at Farwell will be a perfect fit because of the bond the district and the university already have.

“I have a lot of kids volunteering in Farwell,” Bailey said.

Bailey said Trenkamp and his fellow students are responsible for coming up with ideas for the camp, and then she takes the ideas and makes them possible by contacting the school board and administration.

“I do the things they can’t do,” Bailey said. “I’m the adviser of the group. I guide, but it is their camp.”

Letters were sent home to students through the school, and 27 campers are signed up to attend.

Throughout the two-day event, students will participate in activities such as breakout sessions, exploratory modules, films and skits.

The activities will be facilitated by volunteer students from Bailey’s MLE 381: Needs and Characteristics of Young Adolescents.

At the end of the event, students will create posters and projects to hang up around the school.

“One thing the principal wants is to have students create things that could be put on the walls of the school,” Trenkamp said. “It will show the students that they are what is important in the school.”

The camp is scheduled for March 16 and 17.