Five of seven executive board members of Phi Alpha Delta pre-law fraternity resign

Five of the seven members of the pre-law chapter of Phi Alpha Delta law fraternity executive board resigned last week.

Resigned members include: President Kirstin Miller; Secretary Officer Evan Lyons; Membership Director Christian Genesky; Prospective Membership Director Peter Melnik; and Parliamentarian Adam Walker.

Miller, a Vassar senior, said there were a number of reasons that led to her stepping down from her presidential role.

“Some being personal,” Vassar said. “It’s also my last semester and the organization is filled with a ton of incredible student leaders and a lot of them being sophomores and juniors that are definitely more than capable of running things smoothly.”

Vassar said there’s not really any negativity or bitter feelings toward the situation.

“It could’ve gotten to that, but I don’t think feel that it did,” she said. “I felt that it could be better managed by other individuals, so any harsh or bitter feelings that may have been were not my reason for my decision.”

A lot of thought was put into the decision, Vassar said, but she said she can’t speak for all of those who resigned.

“I think that the people that left were supporting me, but that’s not the only reason they left,” she said. “A lot of them cited their own personal reasons for leaving as well.”

Because of a busy academic schedule, Peter Melnik said he was unable to devote the time needed to make the fraternity run smoothly.

The Pickney junior said his role was overseeing and creating Phi Alpha Delta’s curriculum for prospective members.

Once he heard Miller decided to resign, Melnik said his decision became solidified as well.

“I had already been thinking about it to begin with, and with my academics and stuff, I decided it was probably best right now anyway,” he said.

With 55 members in the organization, Melnik said they have a strong future.

“I have full faith that the organization is going to run just fine without us,” he said.

Vice President Christopher Armelagos, a graduate student, now holds the president title, in accordance with chapter bylaws.

Armelagos appointed the following members to E-Board positions: Secretary Officer Jonathan Schuler; Membership Director Shannon Hollenbeck; Prospective Membership Director Joey Soyad; and Parliamentarian Nick Kastros.

“The Interim Executive Board members who I appointed are more than qualified to carry out the duties of their respective offices,” Armelagos said in an email. “I am confident that our chapter is under the direction of strong student leaders.”

Spring 2012 recruitment efforts are going well as expected, he said. There are no intentions to make major changes to their semester plans.