Final forum for EHS Dean candidates held Tuesday with UNLV Dean Dale-Elizabeth Pehrsson

ehsdean-02
Brooke Mayle/Staff Photographer Dean of College of Education for University of Nevada, Las Vegas Dr. Dale-Elizabeth Pehrsson had a large outcome for her campaign open forum for Dean of College of Education and Human Services Tuesday in the EHS building. "I think we need to continue to be technically efficient and stay up to day with what internet sites our children are using, " said Pehrsson regarding the future of online education.

The search for the new dean of the College of Education and Human Services continues with candidate Dale-Elizabeth Pehrsson.

A forum held Tuesday in the EHS building gave faculty and staff the opportunity to question and evaluate Pehrsson for the position.

Pehrsson, one of three finalists looking to fill the position, is currently serving as the associate dean of the College of Education at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, and has another decade of of administrative and professorial experience as well.

In the hour-long discussion, Pehrsson covered many of her ideas regarding education, the direction it seems to be heading and how to accommodate for the growing lack of resources available.

Pehrsson said the best courses of action would be to have the faculty collaborate and bring ideas to the leadership, then decide on the best plan together so everyone can move forward.

"Money and staff are not forthcoming anymore, so we need to find creative ways around this," she said.

Using anecdotes and experiences from her past, Pehrsson elaborated on how to effectively streamline the proceedings of the different departments around campus, were she to get the position.

"Communication should be never-ending (between departments)," Pehrsson said.

She emphasized the growing need for students to be able to communicate and adapt within an increasingly globalized world, and stressed the importance of being bilingual.

"Education is going to a point where students will need to be very globally and culturally aware," she said.

The increased impact of technology on the classroom was also a point of interest for Pehrsson and those questioning her.

"I think we will continue to need to be technologically proficient and we need to be as proficient as our children," she said.

Pehrsson said technology is making many new educational endeavors possible, and can have far-reaching effects.

"(Online learning can) get education to individuals who would not otherwise have that opportunity," she said.

Mary Aylor, professor of teacher education and professional development and forum attendee, said the new dean, whoever it ends up being, must meet certain requirements and standards.

"I expect a dean who will be a strong advocate for this college and all of its departments," Aylor said. "I expect a dean who can gain respect from all of campus. I think it's important to have a strong dean who can hold her own in a situation."

This was the last of the forums held to evaluate the potential candidates, and the college must now make a decision to fill the position.