Texas A&M Corpus Christi defeats men's basketball 49-47 at McGuirk

6905553797_a0c55a8472

After breaking its nine-game losing streak Tuesday, the Central Michigan men’s basketball team found itself back in the loss column Saturday night at McGuirk Arena.

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi defeated CMU 49-47.

“They really fought to win a nail biter,” head coach Ernie Zeigler said.  “I’m going to be honest with you, it was a bad loss.  It was a real tough outcome for us on a special day.”

The Chippewas trailed by 1 with 15 seconds left and had the ball.  While driving to the basket, sophomore Derek Jackson was called for a charge with five seconds remaining, turning the ball over to the Islanders.

The CMU offense struggled throughout the game, shooting just 33.3 percent from the field.  CMU was 3-20 from beyond the arc.

“I just think it was just us not being able to knock them down,” Ernie said.  “We had some great looks.  Our kids executed our stuff, but unfortunately we did not have that third guy to step up.  Offensively, outside of Trey (Zeigler) and Derek, we just couldn’t get enough done.”

The Chippewas fell behind early, trailing 16-7 8:44 into the game, but a 12-5 run brought them within two with just under three minutes to play in the half.

The Islanders added two more points before the half, increasing their lead to 23-19.

CMU took its first lead of the game early in the second half after sophomore Derek Jackson hit a 3-pointer.

The game featured eight lead changes from that point on.

But once again, depth hindered the Chippewas with freshman Austin McBroom and sophomore Finis Craddock out and junior Olivier Mbaigoto leaving the game early in the second half with an ankle injury.

“Our depth isn’t quite what we would hope it is.  It makes it easy for their defense to key in on just two guys (Trey and Jackson),” Ernie said.

Ernie thinks Trey is feeling healthy again and gaining his mobility back after being hampered by a back injury he sustained last week.

“I would say he’s as close to 100 percent as he’s been since it occurred,” Ernie said.  “But I swear I can just go back to last year, it looks so reminiscent to last year when he was forcing things because we didn’t have a balance offensively.  He ended up with five turnovers but in his defense, he played and gave us everything he had.”

Trey finished with a game-high 22 points.

McBroom did not play because of violating team rules and Craddock was out with an illness.

CMU alum and current San Diego Padres play-by-play announcer Dick Enberg was honored at halftime.

The Chippewas will travel to Toledo to face the Rockets at 7.p.m Wednesday.