Delta Chi suspended from intramural activities for invalid roster

delta-chi

The Delta Chi fraternity has been suspended from activities by the Office of Student Life after roster issues.

Assistant Director of Student Life Tom Idema said Delta Chi has been unable to produce a valid roster since the beginning of the fall 2011 semester.

Idema said the issue will prevent the fraternity from participating in intramural activities until a legitimate roster is presented to the Office of Student Life, though no long-term actions against the chapter have been considered.

Idema said it is shocking that it has taken this long for CMU's Delta Chi chapter to produce a roster that is valid and matches the fraternity's information with its national chapter.

“I’m sure the guys love to participate in intramural sports and Greek Week, and they still can,” Idema said. “Just get an accurate roster to us, and be honest with us as to who’s on your roster and who’s not on your roster.”

Idema said he couldn't speculate whether the roster adjustments had to do with fraternity members' grades, though fraternities must maintain a 2.5 GPA average, according to Intrafraternity Council bylaws.

"They’ve been asked since the beginning of the year to fix these roster issues," Idema said. "It blows my mind that this situation has even come up. It’s not a complex thing; just be honest with us."

IFC Vice President of Public Relations Jesse Pifko, a Warren junior, said the suspension came after Delta Chi had been previously warned their roster was inaccurate.

“I have full confidence that Delta Chi will adhere to the Office of Student Life’s recommendation and clear things up before Greek Week comes around,” Pifko said.

The suspension would currently keep Delta Chi from participating in intramural sports and Greek Week, the latter of which begins April 15.

Pending the submission of an approved, accurate roster to the Office of Student Life, the suspension will be lifted and all privileges restored.

Pifko said the issue is not one that could result in the revocation of the fraternity’s charter, but all privileges requiring a roster will be revoked indefinitely, pending approval of a new roster.

Efforts to reach fraternity members Thursday were unsuccessful.