EHS, HSBS deans disagree with no confidence endorsements

The College of Education and Human Services and the College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences have contributed 10 endorsements of the Academic Senate's vote of no confidence against university administration, but both deans said the endorsements do not reflect their personal views.

Kathryn Koch, interim EHS dean, and Pamela Gates, CHSBS dean, reaffirmed their confidence in University President George Ross and Provost Gary Shapiro. Of the 13 departments in the two colleges, only three have not been confirmed to endorse the Dec. 8 A-Senate vote.

The 10 departments from the two colleges to endorse the resolution include English language and literature; foreign languages, literature and cultures; philosophy and religion; political science; psychology; sociology, anthropology and social work; counseling and special education; human environmental studies; recreation, parks and leisure services; and administration and teacher education and professional development.

Koch said the relationship between faculty and administration may take time to mend, but some of the departments in her college have already met with Ross and Shapiro to discuss concerns.

"It's a matter of the willingness on the part of both faculty and administration to consider the concerns on both sides. No one side has all the answers, nor has any one side been all the problem," Koch said. "It's a combination of many factors. In terms of moving forward in a healing process, I know both sides are more than ready to do this and are making efforts to make that happen."

Koch said both faculty members and administration want to improve relations, though the situation can be difficult after contract bargaining.

"I truly believe that both sides are very interested in becoming a much more cohesive unit with less contention and strife and all of those kinds of things," Koch said. "Nobody can function well in that kind of atmosphere. It's not good for the students or the university and we all understand that."

Gates said her college has always expressed its views and felt they would be heard by administrative units by endorsing the A-Senate resolution. Gates, however, said the department members' views did not match with hers.

"I fully support the president and provost and I recognize and appreciate their commitment to the students, faculty and staff of CMU," Gates said in an email. "Faculty have expressed their frustrations and I appreciate that there are real concerns embedded within their actions. We are all challenged with addressing those concerns."

Gates said she hopes Ross and Shapiro's meetings with departments will be able to improve the relationship between the two parties.

"Healing takes time and it is my hope that we will continue to move forward in that healing," Gates said. "The president and provost are making an effort to meet with departments, and it is my hope that their outreach will provide an opportunity for lines of communication to be open and allow a positive exchange of ideas"