Grace Church's Acoustic Brew brings out jazz amid St. Patrick's Day festivities

gracechurch
Charlotte Bodak/Staff Photographer Hastings senior Audrey Valentine plays the clarinet onstage during the Acoustic Brew performance at the Ward Theater Saturday evening.

While many students spent Saturday at parties or bar-hopping downtown on St. Patrick’s Day, Grace Church's Ward Theater provided a space for relaxation with music, food and coffee.

Grace Church's latest Acoustic Brew event ran from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday in the 218 S. Main St. theatre. In addition to free musical performances, the event provided snacks and drinks for a donation which went toward the church’s charitable efforts.

The Acoustic Brew had several specialties such as Irish cream lattes and also served up burgers.

Mount Pleasant resident and Grace Church volunteer Gina Della-Moretta said Saturday’s Brew had the same main purpose as the others; to reach out to the community with love.

“We want everyone to stay safe, fill their stomach and have a good time,” Della-Moretta said. “As always, our heart behind this is our love for Jesus.”

Musical acts included a string trio from Grace Church, a jazz quartet and several CMU School of Music students. Jazz studies instructor Gibran Khan, one of the main organizers of the event, said the event has been a great way for music students to showcase their talents to the community.

“There aren’t a ton of venues around town that allow students to play live like this,” Khan said.

Hastings senior and clarinet player Audrey Valentine is one such student who said she appreciated the opportunity to perform.

“Music has the ability to touch in a way words can’t,” said Valentine, who has played at several of the events. “To me, that’s very powerful.”

Audience member Emily Lutz, an Au Gres sophomore, said she had a positive impression of the event.

“I like listening to jazz and it’s really nice to be able to sit down and relax,” Lutz said.