Lt. Gov. Brian Calley, Sen. Judy Emmons visit Mount Pleasant Brewing Company, discuss growth of industry

lt-gov
Chuck Miller/Staff Photographer Lt. Governor Brian Calley (left) and State Senator Judy Emmons (right) stand listening to former mayor of Mount Pleasant Jim Holton (middle) while taking a tour of the Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company Thursday afternoon, located on 614 W. Pickard.

A lot has changed in the beer brewery industry — mostly in size — since the Mount Pleasant Brewing Company opened up shop at its West Pickard Street location a few years ago.

When asked for a timeline of expanding his business, owner Jim Holton kept his answer simple: “In the next couple months. Can’t expand fast enough.”

Also owner of Mountain Town Station and Camille’s On The River, Holton played host Thursday afternoon to state Sen. Judy Emmons, R-Sheridan, and Lt. Gov. Brian Calley after his recent invite to them to see what he called a Mount Pleasant “success story.”

Michigan currently sits in the top five states for growth in breweries, brewpubs and microbreweries, according to the Michigan Brewers Guild. Holton said the state continues to climb the ranks.

Emmons, Calley and their staffs toured Holton’s brewery, 614 W. Pickard St., amid chat of the latest changes in state government that have allowed for such growth. Calley cited the industry’s growth and credited entrepreneurism with turning the state around.

“There’s a lot of things happening in Isabella County. This is one of the areas where, if you look at it county by county, typically it’s in the top five lowest unemployment in the state,” Calley said. “There’s 83 counties, and that’s saying a lot. Each innovation and entrepreneurship in this area is something that we would all do well to pay close attention to.”

Holton said he considers it part of his job to keep in contact with politicians, and when a decision comes in Lansing, he offers his information on the industry they might not otherwise have.

"They got the feel,” he said of Thursday’s visit. “Now if the senator or lieutenant governor has a question about the micro-brewing industry, I’m going to contact them, give them my information.”

Emmons agreed the visit was informative and helpful, especially for people such as Calley who aren’t designated to one district.

“That’s the best about getting around the state ... you always learn something,” Emmons said. “These are people who are just making the economy go. That’s the fun part of the job.”

The group referenced last year’s repeal of the Michigan Business Tax as a step forward for business owners like Holton, who called it a “phenomenally screwed up” tax procedure. Calley said the new institution is one of the most competitive and simplest tax codes in the nation.

“I'd argue among the simplest in the world,” he said. “It’s one that a company, like here, will be able to do their corporate income tax return on one sheet of paper.”

Until last year, there had been a limit at 200,000 barrels a year for larger brewers, according to published reports. But legislation signed in December by Gov. Rick Snyder lifted the cap.

Nearly all breweries in Michigan aren’t yet at that capacity, though Holton said there’s room in the industry for every facility to reach for the same goals.

“You always aspire to that next level,” he said. “And you also know you get to a threshold: ‘Do I want to make that next jump? Do I want to get about 15,000 barrels?’ Because that’s a big jump. It’s a different tax bracket in the state.”

Holton said his brewery, 614 W. Pickard St., will likely see about 3,000 barrels this year. The company’s facility is currently a 15-barrel brew house, he said, which he plans to double in size within two years, along with the amount of employed staff and equipment.