Pi Kappa Phi Brothers Raise $360 for Journey of Hope

bikefundraiser_02

Three Pi Kappa Phi members tackled the physically and mentally demanding task of riding a stationary bicycle for 24 hours to raise money for a charity trip this summer.

The members of the social fraternity "rode" from noon Wednesday to Thursday in front of the Bovee University Center, raising $360 for their trip this summer while also raising awareness on campus about those with physical and mental disabilities. Their cross-country trip will be a part of the organization Journey of Hope's annual nationwide summer disability awareness campaign.

As the hot sun shown down on the two stationary bikes, with temperatures reaching 87 degrees, the brothers took turns riding one bike for two-hour intervals (in total each Pi Kappa Phi member would ride eight hours). The other bike wasused by anyone who wanted to sign up and ride for half-hour intervals to help the guys along their stationary journey.

About 12 students signed up from multiple different organizations to ride along with them, said Pi Kappa Phi member and Farmington Hills senior Spencer Haworth as he peddled his way toward the end of his first two hours on the bike.

Peddling along beside Haworth was Kaleva graduate student Breanna Knudsen.

“I signed up to support my friend Spencer," Knudsen said. "To help him raise awareness about people with physical and mental disabilities, to help him raise the money he needs for his trip with Journey of Hope, and to get a workout and some sun. Everyone wins."

Despite the weather and exhaustion, the bike was successfully manned for the full 24 hours.

One of the volunteer riders, who was in favor of the steamy weather, was the woman who donated both stationary bikes to the Pi Kappa Phi brothers' event. Skybox studio owner Heather Mills said while peddling with a smile on her face, “(The weather) could be worse; it could be windy, raining or even snowing.”

The hot weather didn’t deter any participants from riding alongside of the Pi Kappa Phi guys and sweating it out with them.

“I got an email and thought that this was a very different event, but that it would be a great thing to do, so I showed it to my registered student organizaion, the Dogma Free Society, and they thought we should sign up,” said Lenox sophomore Ashley Robinson as she waited for her turn on the stationary bike.

Five members of Dogma Free Society signed up to ride.

Passersby were asked by the riders if they would like to donate and that even small change was a big help.

“We have gotten a few 20’s,” Haworth said. "We even had a guy come out and ask what we were doing, and after we told him, he pulled out his wallet.”

Haworth said continuously riding for the duration in such unseasonably hot spring weather was "really intense,” but worth every minute.

“My legs are fine; it’s my butt that’s killing me," Haworth said, laughing after his first two hours.