Softball goes 3-2, beats MSU, in Hoosier Classic

The Central Michigan softball team beat Michigan State 8-4 Saturday afternoon in Bloomington, Ind. while going 3-2 in the Hoosier Classic.

The Chippewas were trailing MSU 4-1 heading into the sixth inning when a six-run outburst by CMU gave them their first lead of the game. The Spartans helped the CMU rally with three errors during the inning, hit a batter and walked senior Molly Coldren. The Chippewas did bust out five singles while making the score 6-4.

Sophomore pitcher Chelsea Sundberg got the win going five innings, allowing two earned runs on four hits, a walk and a strikeout. Sophomore Morgan Yuncker pitched the final two innings without letting a Spartan reach base to earn the save.

On Friday CMU split, beating North Dakota 7-0 and losing to Indiana 3-5. Junior pitcher Kara Dornbos shut down North Dakota, tossing a complete game shutout only allowing five hits.

Dornbos was not done for the weekend pitching another complete game the next day against the University of Chicago-Illinois. She only allowed one run, but the Chippewas offense failed to score and Dornbos and CMU received the loss.

Sunday, against Wright State, Dornbos threw her third consecutive complete game and did it with another shutout. CMU won 9-0 as Dornbos only allowed three Wright State baserunners on three hits. This time the offense came to life for her. Macy Merchant led the way with three hits on four at bats. She scored two runs and drove in another two.

Late Friday afternoon CMU was looking at going undefeated in the first day of the Hoosier Classic against Indiana. The Chippewas led 3-2 going into the bottom of the sixth, but the lead didn't stand.

With only six outs away from losing the Hoosiers rallied with three runs. They led off the inning with a solo home run and two singles and a CMU error later Indiana took a 5-3 lead with the Chippewas backs against the wall.

The Chippewas went 1-2-3 in their last at bat ending the game.

Dornbos finished the weekend throwing 21 innings only allowing one run. She improved her record to 5-5 with two wins and a loss.

Sophomore Summer Knoop extended her hitting steak to 12 over the weekend. She scored two runs and drove in four RBIs in the five games.