UPDATED WITH VIDEO: Tornado watch, warning canceled for Isabella County storm

JMS_STORM_WEB

A severe storm passes over South Oak Street at 6:25 p.m. Monday Mount Pleasant. A tornado warning was issued for the area and a watch remains in effect until 11 p.m. (Jeff Smith/Staff Photographer)

The National Weather Service declared tornado canceled watches and warnings Monday in Isabella County for a storm that produced no reported funnel clouds or damage.

The watch, which was announced at 4:25 p.m. and set to extend until 11 p.m. covered 31 counties throughout Michigan including Midland, Clare, Mecosta and Gratiot, it was cancelled by 9 p.m.

An tornado warning was declared for Isabella County, which expired at 6:45 p.m. The NWS also declared a severe thunderstorm warning through 5:15 p.m. for Isabella County, saying the storm had "damaging winds in excess of 60 mph," though that warning was canceled following the weakening of a storm.

At 6:40 p.m. Central Michigan University employed it's emergency notification system, calling campus phones and those with cell phones subscribed to the system warning them of a severe thunderstorm and advising they seek shelter.

At 6:50 p.m. the system was again used to alert students of the tornado warning that expired five minuets earlier. The system was used to deliver the message from 6:50 again at 6:56 and 7:04.