Charles V. Park Library's Java City extends weekday hours to 1 a.m.

javacity

Central Michigan University students will now be able to get their caffeine fix on campus until 1 a.m. after the Charles V. Park Library's Java City Coffee House extended the shop's hours of operation.

The coffee house's new hours of operation came as a result of the recent change in the library's hours, which were extended to 3 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday after efforts from the CMU Student Government Association.

Java City's hours of operation will remain the same Thursday through Saturday.

Nikki Smith, marketing manager for campus dining, said the change occurred after spring break to adjust to the library's extended hours.

"Java City Coffee House in the Park Library expanded hours of operation after spring break this year to complement the library's expanded hours of operation," Smith wrote in an email. "The Java City Coffee House in the Park Library is now open until 1 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday."

Grand Rapids graduate student Nathan Scharf said he is often in the library late at night, and Java City's new extended hours have made it easier to get refreshments while studying.

"I use the library a lot and I'm here pretty late usually, so I always used to have to try to get a drink at 11 (p.m.) before they changed the hours," Scharf said. "So, it's been pretty helpful for me."

"Obviously, it's not as busy as it is during the day, but it still seems like plenty of students want coffee or a drink late at night," Scharf said.

Traverse City senior Jackie Voice said Java City's new hours will be beneficial for students in need of caffeine while studying late at night.

"I think it's great, because I know I come here later during exam week and I always need a caffeine fix," Voice said. "So I'm in love with the idea to extend the hours to 1 (a.m.)."

Voice said she didn't think the coffee shop would be too crowded past 11 p.m. during the majority of the school year, though it would still be particularly helpful for students during exam week.

"I don't know during the regular school year how much of a demand there will be late at night," Voice said. "But I know during exam times, it will definitely be nice for the students"