ALBUM REVIEW: Train's "California 37" is adequate summer listening

Unless you were already a devoted follower of Train, you’d be likely to think the two halves of the San Francisco band’s career came from entirely different performers.

Songs that became hits in the late 1990s and early 2000s like “Meet Virginia,” “Drops of Jupiter” and “Calling All Angels” sound more rock-based and even somber compared to the band’s resurgence with the peppy 2010 hit “Hey, Soul Sister.”

The sound of “Hey, Soul Sister” is generally what Train continues to pursue on their sixth studio album, “California 37.” A listener’s like or dislike of that song will probably gauge how much they’ll like the band’s newest effort. This is especially true of the album’s lead single “Drive By,” a catchy and somewhat sweet song about unexpectedly wanting someone for more than a one-night stand.

“Hey Soul Sister’s” sound also makes appearances in songs like the ukulele-filled “Sing Together,” and the old and new Train seem to have a brief, casual meeting in “Feels Good At First,” which is quieter than most of the album’s tracks, but still has bright instrumentation and an optimistic outlook on love. The track most reminiscent of old Train is break-up song and album closer “When the Fog Rolls In.”

Along with songs like the country-infused “Bruises” and the incredibly pop “Mermaid,” the album seems like ideal listening for a hot day on the beach — or, in the case of Latin-influenced “50 Ways to Say Goodbye” and the titular “California 37,” a day of driving.

The lyrical content of “California 37” can seem odd in places (with how much of the title track “California 37” conveys a message of looking forward for the band. It’s surprising to hear it paired up with a vitriolic first verse most likely aimed at an ex of lead vocalist Pat Monahan’s).

The album as a whole also relies on large amounts of pop culture references in the lyrics, which works in one or two instances — “I stopped believing even though Journey told me don’t” in album opener “This’ll Be My Year” — but mostly comes across as unnecessary at best (referencing Johnny Depp in “Mermaid”) and guaranteeing a dated sound at worst (referencing Justin Bieber and a host of other celebrities in “You Can Finally Meet My Mom”).

Although the lyrics may not always be at their sharpest, “California 37” has enough catchy and fun instrumentation that it will work well as a listener’s summer soundtrack, and will likely keep Train’s success rolling for the next few years.

Artist: Train

Album: “California 37”

Genre: Pop-Rock

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars