CMU releases men's basketball non-conference schedule

Wednesday Nov. 7.

That is the day the Keno Davis era begins for Central Michigan basketball as the Chippewas take on Lake Superior State University in an exhibition game at McGuirk Arena.

The non-conference schedule was announced Monday. The headline game on the docket is on Saturday Dec. 29 when the Chippewas travel to Ann Arbor to play Michigan.

“It’s a great opportunity for our young guys,” Davis said. “It’s a great opportunity not only to play a Big Ten opponent in the state, but a team in the preseason top 25.”

CMU will be appearing in two tournaments this season.

The first is the Utah Thanksgiving Tournament hosted by the University of Utah.

There the Chippewas and the Utes will be joined by Wright State and Idaho State.

Over winter break, CMU will be a part of the West Star Bank Don Haskins Sun Bowl Invitation hosted by the University of Texas El Paso.

Nebraska and Arkansas Pine-Bluff will also be involved in that tournament.

“We’re trying to get our guys the most experience with games to schedule in a short period of time,” Davis said. “Our players haven’t been through this before, and we’re preparing ourselves for MAC Tournament play.”

Along with the Wolverines and a possibility to play the Cornhuskers, the Chippewas will open the regular season against a Big Ten Conference member.

CMU will open the regular season in Iowa City, Iowa on Monday Nov. 12 against the University of Iowa.

The Chippewas regular season home opener is Friday Nov. 16 against Division III Olivet.

CMU also has three other home non-conference games on Wednesday Nov. 28 against Bradley, Sunday Dec. 2 against Niagara and Thursday Dec. 20 against Texas State.

The Chippewas will travel to Charlotte and Pepperdine on Saturday Dec. 8 and Sunday Dec. 16.

CMU will finish the non-conference schedule with U of M- Dearborn in an exhibition on Thursday Jan. 3.