Former CMU basketball player Andre Coimbra charged following June drunk driving arrest

ARK_CMUvSDS_06

Andrew Kuhn/Staff Photographer CMU forward Andre Coimbra drives to the basket during the second half Monday night against the South Dakota State Jackrabbits at McGuirk Arena in Mount Pleasant. Coimbra finished the game with six points as the Chippewas lost their sixth straight game 72-69.

Former Central Michigan basketball forward Andre Coimbra pleaded guilty to a charge of operating while intoxicated on Aug. 8 in Isabella County Trial Court, according to court house documents.

The Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, native was fined $1,300 and sentenced to six months of non-reporting probation for a reduced charge of operating while visibly impaired.

The incident occurred at 2:30 a.m. on June 3 when Coimbra was pulled over by CMU police officer Kip Williams after failing to stop at a stop sign at the intersection of Main St. and University Drive.

Coimbra was transported to the Isabella County Jail after failing to pass a field sobriety test. A blood test was done to test his blood alcohol level, but details of the results are unknown.

During his probation period, Coimbra must refrain from use of alcohol and going anywhere where alcohol is served, including restaurants and bars. He also has to submit to random drug and alcohol tests as directed, and may not use, possess or deliver drugs, paraphernalia or alcohol.

Coimbra played his final two years of eligibility at CMU, averaging 7.9 points and 5.4 rebounds during his senior season in 2012 and led the team with 33 blocks.