ALBUM REVIEW: Lecrae's "Gravity" combines faith with diverse artistry

“I pen songs for the perishin’ and the parishioners,” raps Lecrae on the title track of his sixth studio album “Gravity.”

The native Houston hip-hop artist has already been known for several years in Christian rap and hip-hop circles but only recently made a splash in the mainstream music world when his mixtape “Church Clothes” released online in May to over 100,000 downloads within two days. “Gravity” is likewise predicted to show early success by debuting high on the Billboard 200 this week.

Lecrae’s album begins right away with strong orchestral backing, with dramatic violins and an electric guitar solo to add to the build-up of power in opener “The Drop (Intro).” The beats produced here pulsate strength, providing a strong foundation for each track — most notably in the case of “I Know,” “Tell the World” and the Caribbean-influenced “Violence.”

Nine of the album’s 15 listed tracks have featured on them, and for the most part they hold up and complement Lecrae’s rapping. From Novel’s soulful feature as the hook for “Walk With Me” to Rudy Currence’s singing and piano matched up on “Lucky Ones,” the features allow for a bigger sense of artistry on the album as a whole.

Lyrically, Lecrae covers a wide range of topics familiar to frequent rap listeners: the risks of fame on “Free From It All” and “Power Trip,” the fruits of destruction in “Gravity” and “Violence,” and calling out rappers for pretending to live a life they don’t in “Fakin’.” While “Fakin’” manages to be the weakest of the tracklist for lacking that last touch of raw emotion and power that the remaining tracks do, each track will have at least one memorable line for a listener.

Lecrae does not abandon his Christian roots at all on the album, as his faith and God make many appearances on tracks like “Walk With Me,” in which he seeks divine help when his world is crumbling apart, “Free From It All” where God keeps the rapper grounded from relying too much on fame, and “Tell the World” which praises Jesus for turning lives around.

Unlike what is often expected on Christian music products, though, there is a sense of sincerity and not triteness when Lecrae makes his faith known. References to God feel natural and in place with the rest of the subject matter he raps about. This is perhaps exemplified in “Mayday,” where the first verse is given to featured artist Big K.R.I.T. as he reminisces about the role faith both has and hasn’t played in his life. Almost in response to concerns more conservative fans might have with sharing the track with a message like this, Lecrae raps about his own imperfection: “When I hear K.R.I.T. confessing I respect him/Cause most of us be lying like our lives don’t need perfecting.”

One online review from a prominent rap website calls “Gravity” “the most important album in the history of Christian hip-hop.” While only time can tell what the eventual legacy of Lecrae’s album will be, for now the album deserves at least one listen from hip-hop fans to see what the hype is about and gain at least some appreciation for the lyrical emotions presented, whether you’re a believer or not.

Artist: Lecrae

Album: “Gravity”

Genre: Rap/Hip-Hop

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars