CMU student arrested, alleged to have been on LSD bonds out of Isabella County Jail

A Central Michigan University student is no longer being held in Isabella County Jail after bonding out following an altercation with police officers last week in Kessler Hall.

Freshman Nathan David Gross of Grand Blanc bonded out of Isabella County Jail on Friday after being charged with three felonies: one count of attempt to disarm a police officer, a 10-year felony, and two counts of resisting or obstructing police, each of which are up to two-year felonies, said CMU Police Chief Bill Yeagley.

In addition, Gross was also charged with two misdemeanor acts: one for the use of a controlled substance, a six-month misdemeanor, and one count of simple assault, a 93-day misdemeanor charge.

As previously reported by Central Michigan Life, Yeagley said his department received a phone call at about 10:30 p.m. Sept. 19 regarding a disorderly student in the lobby of Kessler Hall who was believed to be on LSD.

When an officer arrived to the scene, the officer made contact with Gross, and the officer was headbutted, Yeagley said. When a second officer arrived, they wrestled Gross to the ground in order to gain control.

Steve Smith, director of public relations at CMU, said at one point during the altercation, the suspect collapsed and stopped breathing.

“The suspect just went limp all of a sudden and became unresponsive,” Yeagley said. “The officers checked his vitals and saw he wasn’t breathing and administered first aid.”

CMU officers immediately administered CPR and revived the suspect, who was then handcuffed and transported to McLaren-Central Michigan hospital for treatment, Smith said.

“The doctors said the young man is very lucky the police were there because they saved his life,” Yeagley said. “It speaks volumes about how professional the officers are here.”

Once medical personnel monitored Gross and approved his leave. He was then taken to the Isabella County Jail.

Yeagley said calls regarding individuals on drugs such as LSD are fairly rare at CMU. He said it’s even more rare for a suspect to act in the manner this individual did, by assaulting an officer.

“LSD is a crazy drug, it’s not predictable,” Yeagley said. “You can become violent like this individual did. It creates a lot of negative effects.”