Dharma Mojo Tea Bar and Grill brings vegan and vegetarian food to Mount Pleasant

biznaz
Chuck Miller/Staff Photographer Dharma Mojo Tea Bar and Grill opened up in Mount Pleasant 210 W Pickard St, Mount Pleasant, MI. It specializes in vegan and vegetarian delicacy.

A new type of restaurant has opened in Mount Pleasant.

The Dharma Mojo Tea Bar and Grill, 210 W. Pickard St., opened two weeks ago and has already been enjoying steady business, owner Mike Otterbine said.

“Business has been good, growing steadily,” he said. “There seems to be a lot of interest; we've already had several repeat customers.”

Following a growing trend in the society, the new business is billed as a vegetarian restaurant.

“We have a vegetarian/vegan menu, where absolutely everything on the menu has a vegan option. We also have some gluten-free foods,” Otterbine said.

But don’t expect frozen-mass-produced veggie burgers and half-crushed supermarket muffins.

“We bake everything here,” he said.

The restaurant is open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

Tea and home-baked goods will be available in the morning, and starting at 11 a.m. The vegetarian grill will open up for lunch.

There is also a tea bar with 36 varieties of teas, most of which are organic and many imported from places like China, India and Taiwan.

With menu items such as Quinoa burgers, avocado fries and asparagus flatbreads, the eatery is certainly a new scene in the city.

Otterbine, a Mount Pleasant resident, said the decision was easy to open in the city.

“My wife has a yoga studio in the same building, and we had this idea to start a vegetarian restaurant, to sort of accompany what my wife’s trying to do in her studio,” he said.

Dharma Mojo will be the third business in the building on Pickard, joining the OmBodies Yoga Studio and Boutique, owner Heather Otterbine, said.

The couple wanted a restaurant atmosphere that would neatly tie in with Heather's work down the street.

“We have a focus on healthy foods,” Mike Otterbine said.

Some students seem to be reacting with interest to the new restaurant.

Armada freshman Krystal Diel was pleased to hear that the Mount Pleasant restaurant scene was branching out.

“As a vegan, it’s often difficult to find options when eating out. I think it’s great that they’re embracing the diversity of the area,” she said.