Family-centered celebration in Iowa City as football team upsets Hawkeyes

8023739468_73917e3d07_b

IOWA CITY -- David Harman sprinted out of the Kinnick Stadium visitors' pink locker room on a B-line.

“Thanks for making our day – our week!” shouted a thankful Central Michigan fan.

The senior kicker was the first player out of the locker room, and he was on a mission – to give his mom the game ball after he kicked a 47-yard, game-winning field goal to beat Iowa 32-31.

“You made so many people so happy today,” another fan said from a few rows back.

His mother gave him her iPhone, and he was able to celebrate with his sisters in California. He wasn’t able to celebrate after hitting the longest field goal of his career with three seconds remaining.

“I don’t know what I did or where I went after I made it," Harman said with his tight, white under armour and game pants still on. "Everyone was hitting me, and I was trying to find the kicking tee because there were still three seconds."

About 20 yards away from Harman celebrating with his family was senior quarterback Ryan Radcliff waiting for a radio interview when his father was trying to call him over.

“We are ecstatic,” his mother said. “Overwhelmed; so thankful; speechless.”

Radcliff said this game was for his father’s birthday on Monday.

“This was a great birthday present,” his dad said. “Awesome, this was the kind of win this team needs. Everyone wants to see their kid be successful.”

CMU head coach Dan Enos said the emotions didn’t hit him during the game.

“I was too worried about the three seconds left to enjoy (the kick),” he said. “I knew they would do some razzle-dazzle, and I wanted to make sure our players didn’t run on the field and get a penalty.”

Enos said he was so happy for his players after the game. He said they work so hard, and it is good to see them enjoy it.

It did hit Enos after the game, though. Not while talking to the team or seeing the final score on the scoreboard – it was when his wife hugged him crying.

“When she did that, it was like, 'oh this is a big deal,'” Enos said.

Enos was asked what it means to him to see Harman with his mom and Radcliff hugging his parents.

“That is why I coach,” he said.