Field hockey winless at Michigan State Invitational

The Michigan State Invitational gave the field hockey team its second and third-straight one-goal defeat this weekend.

Central Michigan suffered its second overtime loss of the season against Louisville 3-2 Friday.  In the consolation round Sunday, the team lost 2-1 to American University.

The Eagles had the Chippewas frazzled at the start Sunday, scoring a goal in the first minute.

“We got caught on our heels a little bit,” head coach Cristy Freese said. “In those situations, we just needed to step up.”

Freese said the long passes by American hurt the defense of CMU, but she was satisfied the team was able to keep the game within a goal at the half so it could make adjustments.

CMU responded after American widened the lead to two in the 42nd minute with a goal of its own less than a minute later from junior forward Erica Garwood.

“We needed a goal, and that’s what we got,” Garwood said. “In the second half, we definitely brought it together.”

It was Garwood’s second goal of the season, making her the third-leading scorer for the Chippewas.

Freese credited Garwood's recent scoring on the hassling she received for missing an open-net goal in the season's opening weekend, calling the junior a "workhorse".

The Chippewas have failed to get the edge in penalty corners in six of seven games.  It hurt them again against the Eagles, who scored its second goal directly off of a penalty corner.

The team, after playing their first seven games on the road, returns home next weekend to play Miami (Ohio), in their first conference game, followed by a visit from Iowa.

“It’s difficult to lose a game,” Freese said. “But we’re playing against quality competition. On the one hand, we’re doing a good job; we’re competing. We’re right with these teams. We just have to shore up a few things and get a little more disciplined.”

Game one

Overtime has been commonplace for the field hockey team this season.

The opening match of the Michigan State Invitational against Louisville Friday was no exception for CMU.

The Chippewas lost 3-2 in double overtime, succumbing to their second defeat after regulation in three games.

CMU took the lead twice in the first period, but the Cardinals answered back on both occasions.

“It was a very even game,” head coach Cristy Freese said. “This game was back-and-forth from both ends ... It was a good game.”

Junior Abby Roth, who Freese called a utility player, scored the first goal in the 16th minute.

Sophomore Mary Alice Moore also put the Chippewas in the lead momentarily, scoring off a deflection from the left corner in the 21st minute.

“We knew (after I scored the second goal) we still had to play hard,” Moore said. “Louisville is a good team, so definitely, we had to get more scoring opportunities.”

Louisville back Alyssa Voelmle scored off a breakaway drive, 60 minutes after the tying goal was scored, to win the game.