Football team to play first road game of the season Saturday against Iowa

The football team will square off against a Big Ten opponent for the second game in a row Saturday in its first road game of the season.

This time, it will be hoping for a better result than its 41-7 home loss to Michigan State on Sept. 8.

CMU will kick off a three-game road trip against Iowa at noon at Kinnick Stadium.

“It’s huge,” quarterback Ryan Radcliff said.  “Especially coming off of two weeks ago, we were disappointed in how we played. We’re just looking to get out there, rebound, and we believe we can compete and come away with a win.”

The Hawkeyes (2-1) are coming off a 27-16 victory over Northern Iowa, one week after being upset by Iowa State.

Iowa’s offense is led by senior quarterback and second-year starter James Vandenberg.  He threw for 3,022 yards and 25 touchdowns last season but has been held without a touchdown pass thus far.

“He’s experienced,” senior safety Jahleel Addae said. “He runs the offense well; the receivers have strong hands and run good routes, so it will be a challenge for us, but we’re up for the task.”

The Hawkeyes have had a different leading rusher in all three of their games this season. Sophomore Damon Bullock leads the team with 280 rushing yards.

“The only thing we can do is fly to the ball in the run game and get good leverage when we’re making our tackles,” Addae said.  “All three running backs can play some good ball, so we’ll have to be ready for whoever they bring.”

On defense, the Hawkeyes’ top three tacklers are linebackers, with junior Anthony Hitchens leading the team with 37 hits.

“They are very sound,” Radcliff said. “They don’t necessarily do a ton of different things, but they definitely do enough. And what they do, they are very good at it.  You are not going to find guys missing their assignments or out of place.”

Radcliff said he is expecting a hostile crowd at a Kinnick Stadium that can hold 70,585 fans.

“I’ve heard a lot about Kinnick Stadium and their fans,” he said. “It’s going to be fun to go in there for sure, and I’m looking forward to it.”

The Chippewas (1-1) will look to continue their strong running game Saturday.  Junior Zurlon Tipton has accumulated 241 yards on the ground through the first two games—averaging 8.6 yards per carry.  He has also found the end zone three times.

CMU is 0-2 all-time against Iowa.

Game Notes

The Chippewas are the only team among all divisions of college football yet to commit a penalty this season.

Senior defensive back Anthony Young and offensive lineman Jake Olson suffered injuries during week one and two, respectively. Neither player is expected to play this weekend.

Head coach Dan Enos did not comment at practice Thursday.