Jason Wilson a silver lining in loss to Spartans

Big plays for the Central Michigan football team were scarce in its 41-7 loss to Michigan State Sept. 8 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Sophomore cornerback Jason Wilson provided one of those plays, though. The 6-foot, 172-pound native from Farmington Hills accounted for the only CMU score against the Spartans when he intercepted MSU backup quarterback Connor Cook's pass and returned it 55 yards for the touchdown.

The game was out of reach at that point, but the score kept CMU from being shut out.

“The running back went to the flat; I was able to make a play,” Wilson said. “ It felt pretty nice running for that end zone. I just wish the game was a bit closer.”

This season, Wilson is making the transition from wide receiver to cornerback. So far, things have been going well, head coach Dan Enos said.

“He’s probably been our most consistent defensive back in two games,” Enos said. “We needed help at defensive back. A lot of the guys we recruit (are as) two-way players, and Jason was one of them.”

Last season, Wilson caught 48 passes for 526 yards and three touchdowns as a receiver. He is playing cornerback this season for the first time since high school.

“Going back to spring ball, he was struggling a bit,” senior quarterback Ryan Radcliff said. “He’s improved a lot over the summer and through fall camp, and I think that showed with that pick-six. He has played real well on that side of the ball, and I’d like to see more of that out of him.”

Wilson said he likes playing on the defensive side of the ball, because you can play more freely and aggressively. So far this season, he has seven tackles in two games.

“The transition is going well,” he said. “I’m just working to get better each and every day and doing my best to learn the schemes.”

Wilson added that having veterans such as seniors Jahleel Addae, Lorenzo White and Taylor Bradley in the secondary has been a huge help to his development.

CMU's next game is Saturday when the Chippewas travel to Iowa City to take on the Iowa Hawkeyes.