Receivers strong against Iowa, will face a tough test in Northern Illinois

The receiving core for the football team was projected to be a major strength heading into this season.

And Saturday against Iowa, they showed why.

Central Michigan’s top two receivers from a year ago, senior Cody Wilson and sophomore Titus Davis, had team-highs 105 and 74 receiving yards, respectively.  Davis also caught two touchdown passes.

“I think as a whole, Saturday was our best game as a group,” Wilson said. “Titus made some plays, Courtney (Williams) made some plays and I got my hands on the ball a little bit, so everyone was doing their thing.  Ryan (Radcliff) also played great, so that helped, too.”

Wilson attributed the team's success to having an extra week to prepare for the Hawkeye defense.

“I think that definitely helped, and we just executed what the coaches told us to do,” he said.

Radcliff completed passes to eight different players – a factor head coach Dan Enos said is vital for the Chippewa offense to be successful.

“I think our receivers have played very well,” Enos said.  “They are a very solid group.  We don’t go into one game saying we have to force feed a guy the ball.  To me, when the offense is really working well is when you look at the stat sheet after and not see four or five guys have catches, but eight or nine guys.”

Saturday, Radcliff and his receivers will go up against a Northern Illinois defense that is ranked first in the Mid-American Conference in pass defense.

The Huskies have given up 142.5 passing yards per game—48.7 yards per game less than second ranked Eastern Michigan.

But Enos said he does not plan to abandon the passing game based on the four games they have played this season.

“I don’t think they’ve really played anyone that has tried to throw the ball on them too much,” he said. “We’re going to have to stay balanced. Any defense is going to try and get you to be one-dimensional, but we’re not going to do that.”

NIU gave up 129 passing yards to Iowa, 283 to Tennessee-Martin, eight to Army and 150 against Kansas.